Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sacks Fifth Avenue Knock Off Dress


      It's been ages since I've done a knock off of anything. I guess I've had enough ideas in my own head to keep me plenty busy. When I saw this dress, I was struck by how simple, yet elegant it was. It's not too dressy, yet not too casual, and very wearable. 

Boatneck maxi dress. Beautiful.

     Using the exact same method as this dress tutorial, it was super simple to replicate! I used a dressy polyester/spandex blend that has great movement and drape. If you look at the original dress on the store site, you can see it has a wrap style skirt. I did the same thing on mine, although it's kind of hard to see. Here is my knock off version. (As a side note...I'm not a model, and I'm not a photographer...so let's not get too crazy on the comparison thing! )




     I did make a few minor changes just to suite my particular tastes. I dropped the waist a bit, because I think lower waist helps balance out my tallness. I also didn't make the skirt quite a gathered as the original...tons of gathers make look wonderful on a model, not so much on me! If you look at the original dress, it has a tad bit of drape to the neck line. I created that in mine, by doing two little tucks on the shoulder seams.



         I absolutely love how comfortable and versatile it is. I made it quite generously long, so that I can wear heals with it.


        Besides the advantage of customizing the details, sewing something yourself is always cheaper! My dress cost me about $20...which is quite reasonable indeed! Just as a side note, I have no issues with the price of the original...if they can sell it for that price, by all means. I'm sure it's of the highest quality. I just would rather not pay that!
 Take a look at that tutorial and make yourself one! If you want to do the wrap style skirt, just add about 15 inches to the width of the skirt. Overlap the excess fabric as you sew it to the top. It's super simple!
      P.S. If you haven't noticed yet, there is new pages at the top to help searching tutorials easier! Take a look and enjoy!

Galatians 5:26   Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.   

5 comments:

  1. Cute dress. You did a great job. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice dress. I think it is a great knock off of the $200+dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Definitely going to give this a try~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have taken a look at that tutorial. I want to do the wrap style skirt. So I will follow your instruction. Can I collect this from any other Women Fashion and Style? Such as boutiqueken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge and lenient are the only changes you need to follow this summer. Will it reach a long and wide ball? You don’t have to worry about wearing Pakistani lawn clothes, but skinny jeans, but you also need other options. Wear a large graphic T-shirt with a cool, heavy coat or wide pants and smoking pants. Survive in the most comfortable way in the longest office!

    ReplyDelete