Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter Dress

     I went wandering through a few local boutiques the other day and found the most beautiful little white Easter dress for the little lady. The only problem being that it was $57! Gulp, gasp, um noooooo thank you! I might have been able to justify it if she actually needed clothes. However, she has a bazillion adorable dresses thanks to her cousin's hand me downs, and a pretty dress is not the point of Easter anyway. So, I gently and reverently hung the $57 dress back on the hanger and took myself right home to see what I could come up with. I really wanted a non-pink dress. I like pink quite a bit, but variety is always nice too. I found in my stash a remnant I had bought a while ago with lovely green and blue paisley on it. I have a soft spot for paisley. Using it, some scrap white material, and a scrap of tulle I came up with this. It cost me about $5 as apposed to $57.


     It is just a simple peasant top style with an extra full skirt. The sleeves are just hemmed and sewn with elastic thread.


     The bottom is edged with ribbon and the underskirt has tulle sewn to it for a little extra fullness.


     I made a  matching hair flower with scraps.


     I didn't take pictures along the way, but this is basically how you can make one.




     At any rate, they are not hard to do. You can easily make one in an hour or two. Quite a good thing for me, since anytime the little lady isn't sleeping I seem to be moping up puddles off the floor. If anyone has any magical tips for introducing the wonders of indoor plumbing to the their two year old without loosing one's sanity I would be eternally grateful!

Linking to:
Just a Girl
Simple Home Life
The Freckled Laundry
Tatertots and Jello

6 comments:

  1. lovely! I think kids clothes are way over priced!~mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link on Freckled Laundry. Of course I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)

    Take care
    Tine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this dress! I'm a sucker for paisley! Found you at tatertots and jello, have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, that is so cute! Thanks for the mini tutorial, I'm definitely bookmarking this one for when I have a little girl someday!

    And thank you for visiting my blog, and leaving the sweet comment! Come back often! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOnderFUL!! I love it! I love being able to make cute stuff so I never have to pay $50+ for a cute dress. I am doing a new dress a week so my little girl over on my blog, you should check it out. I hope to post the next dress tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete